Vegetables are a crucial part of our diet keeping in mind that they help our bodies fight diseases. They do this by building a strong immune system that can fight diseases like cancer, diabetes and heart diseases. All vegetables are not similar in nutritional value so they can be classified from the most nutritional. The top 5 healthiest vegetables include:
Kales are the healthiest vegetables in the world and although they are difficult to eat raw, a little olive oil and salt makes them edible. The dark green color of vegetables in an indication of how nutritious the vegetables are. Kale is considered the most nutritious vegetable because:
- It contains vitamin C that is beneficial for boosting the immune system thus protecting the body against diseases like heart diseases and cancer. Vitamin C is also important for keeping the skin healthy at all times.
- Kale contains lutein which is important for maintaining good eye sight and keeping eyes healthy.
- Vitamin K is also an important component for blood available in kale.
- Calcium contained in kale is beneficial to keeping healthy teeth and bones.
Kale also contains vitamin B6 and vitamin A.
2. Raw spinach
Spinach is the second best vegetable. The best thing about spinach is that it can be taken in many forms when raw. Spinach can be blended to make fresh smoothies, it can be eaten as a salad or it can be served as desert. Spinach is filled with Vitamin K, C and also it contains lutein. Apart from these it contains potassium and fiber. The nutritional benefits of spinach are:
- Keeping muscles and heart healthy because spinach contain potassium which is a very important mineral.
- Making bowel movement easier because spinach contain fiber.
- Keeps the skin healthy due to vitamin C and also maintain the health of the heart.
Carrots are common vegetables all over the world. Carrots can easily be eaten raw and they can also be blended to make carrot juice. Carrots contain vitamin K, fiber and lutein and one portion of carrots is approximately 30 calories. Raw carrots are good in:
- Maintain good eyesight because of the presence of lutein that goes to the retina and assists in the normal viewing.
- Carrots can protect the body against heart related conditions to the presence of vitamin C.
- Carrots contain important antioxidants that are helpful in keeping the skin and hair healthy.
4. Collard greens
Collard greens are most popular in the south although they are fairly taken in many parts of the world. These are dark green vegetables and they are mostly sautéed i.e. cooked for a very short time in high heat. Collard greens contain many nutrients like Vitamin K, C, lutein, potassium and fiber. This is why collard greens are good for:
- Easy bowel movements due to the presence of fiber.
- Collard greens protect the body against cardiac related conditions.
- Keeping healthy muscles due to potassium.
5. Swiss chard
They are mostly grown in the Mediterranean regions of the world. This vegetable combines almost all the nutrients. Some people eat Swiss chard as a salad but due to the bitter taste people prefer to sauté the vegetables. Swiss chard contains vitamin K, C, lutein, potassium and fiber. Swiss chard is good for:
- Maintaining good eye sight due to availability of lutein.
- Proper bowel movement and healthy muscles due to presence of fiber and potassium respectively.
- Keeping a healthy heart due to Vitamin C.